Norvegr Limited Edition Eiderdown DuvetRegular price $4,779.00 Save $-4,779.00
This item is no longer available. Discover our selection of down duvets and pillows here.
Norvegr is a Norwegian heritage brand manufacturing luxury down duvets and pillows. With a philosophy firmly rooted in uncompromised quality, all Norvegr down is meticulously sourced and filled in channel constructed duvet casings. This technique ensures the smallest amount of down is used, while at the same time providing a maximum and even level of warmth and comfort.
Eiderdown is highly priced and differs from all other types of down. Place a little down in your hand and the warmth can be felt instantly, spreading and expanding to cover a surface area in a mere moment. Holding up a ball of Eiderdown and the down pearls form a weightless yet solid ball. This is because the Eiderdown does not have quill shafts, but instead has a fixed central point from which the down barbs spread outwards and where miniature hooks at the end of the barbs make the down stick together. Substantially more durable than a traditional quill feather makes for a highly durable and hardwearing duvet some of which have been in use for more than 100 years.
Norvegr sources its Eiderdown from the Norwegian island of Svalbard, where the Eider ducks are cared for by the locals and co-exist with the infamous Polar Bear. The annual quantity is less than 100 kilograms and is arguably the most exclusive down in the world.
Norvegr fill the down in a channel constructed duvet casing made from the finest batiste from 100 % pure Egyptian cotton. The seams are hidden inside the duvet on three sides, and there is no stitching right through the duvet casing. Instead they use baffle walls between the channels, to make sure that the down reaches everywhere inside the casing. This way, the duvet is equally as thick all the way through the channels, and you will not have any cold spots against your body.
- Norwegian Eiderdown is the most exclusive quality there is.
- The best heat retention of all types of down.
- Down hand picked from abandoned nests and hand cleaned.
- An annual quantity of less than 100 kg.
- Ten-year guarantee
- Can be restored back to its original shape and be as good as new after ten years, with the guarantee extended another ten years.
This very particular type of down is found on the Norwegian island of Svalbard and comes only from the female Eider duck. There are many reasons why the Eiderdown material has been coveted for so long and its secret is quite literally kept close to its chest - found exclusively on the female Eider who meticulously plucks off her own breast to feather her nest.
After midsummer, the female and her ducklings leave the nest and head for sea - and harvesting can take place. Each nest yields approximately 15-20 grams of down which is hand collected and hand washed, taking a highly skilled person a full week to clean a single kilo of Eiderdown which was taken from up to 60 nests. The hand cleaning process is an essential step to ensure the preservation of its unique qualities.
Four Weights of Duvet
- Summer: Light, airy duvets, good for bedrooms with air conditioning, works up to 30°C/86ºF
- All Year: For the sleeper in a relatively even temperature through the year, and for bedrooms with air conditioning, works with outdoor temperatures of 0°C/32ºF up to 20°C/68ºF
- Winter: Warm, soft, comfortable duvets, even for sleeping in a cold room with windows open, works from outdoor temp. -10°C/14ºF and up to 15°C/59ºF
- Polar (available upon request): These duvets are very warm, intended for those who get cold easily during the winter, and for cold winters in cold climates. Works from -25°C/-13ºF (outdoor temp with windows open) and up to 10°C/50ºF
XL Twin: 59" by 90", 150cm by 229cm
- Queen: 90" by 94", 229cm by 239cm
- King: 108" by 94", 274cm by 239cm
- Our sizes are based on typical North American sizes.
- Other sizes available upon request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to place an order.
The Norwegian eiderdown is hand picked from abandoned nests once a year once the birds have left them to head to sea. The birds are protected and cannot be touched, therefore one has to collect down from each nest once the birds do not use them anymore. Duvets and pillows take two weeks for production and one week for shipping. They are definitely worth the wait.
The duvets and pillows ship from Norway and local sales tax, import duties, and handling fees arising at the delivery destination are not included in the price of the products and these will need to be paid when you receive your goods. Contact us on email@example.com if you would like more information about choosing a duvet or pillow. These goods are eligible for returns and exchanges, please read our returns policy here.
All prices in Canadian dollars.